About SD Europe
SD Europe is promoting supporters’ involvement in the running of their football clubs, in national governing bodies and in the sustainable development of the game.
To get more football clubs into supporters ownership, to get more institutions to take actions towards supporter involvement and fan dialogue and to improve solidarity between the top and grassroots levels of football.
We believe football needs to be more:
• Democratic by involving supporters in the running of clubs and strengthening the clubs’ community focus.
• Unified by fans, clubs and authorities working together more closely
• Fairer by improving solidarity between the grass roots and elite levels of the game.
• Sustainable by including financial, structural, social and environmental criteria in licensing regulations on European and national level
Read about our organisational principles, Democracy, Cooperation, Solidarity and Sustainability here.
Active in over 50 countries across Europe and further, SD Europe is a continental supporters organisation that represents grassroots and national supporters organisations, as well as amateur and professional member-run football clubs. We are not-for-profit, democratically representative organisation. The organisation also supports the implementation of the Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO) licensing requirement on behalf of UEFA, and has observer status on the Standing Committee of the European Convention on Spectator Violence. In 2020, SD Europe partnered with UEFA Academy to provide and lead on a innovative new SLO Training programme.
Established in 2007 with support from UEFA, the organisation also advises clubs on their ownership and governance structures and works with football governing bodies, leagues, confederations, and European institutions.
What We Do
- Instigate increased dialogue between fan groups across Europe; and also between UEFA and its stakeholders, including its members associations and other football organisations, the European Commission and Parliament
- Help democratic supporters groups across Europe gain and increase their influence over the game and gain ownership of their clubs
- Advise local and national supporters groups, clubs and governing bodies on governance and ownership models
- The organisation also supports the implementation of the Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO) licensing requirement on behalf of UEFA, and has observer status on the Council of Europe Committee on Safety and Security at Sports Events. In 2020, SD Europe partnered with UEFA Academy to provide and lead on a innovative new SLO Training programme.
- Provide SLO Training to UEFA Member Associations in partnership with UEFA Academy
- Coordinate European Commission-funded projects, including the current Erasmus+ project, Fans Matter!
As an organisation, we are about development, we are working towards a new stage in football’s evolution where supporters are involved to a greater degree, by being a part of the conversation and decision making – Antonia Hagemann, SD Europe CEO